Thursday, June 21, 2012

What The Doctor Said

The surgery went well.  I really don't remember at all what the doctor said, and even though Seth told me twice what he said I'm so hopped up on painkillers that I still can't remember.  So, in order to give an update Seth is writing this post for me.

In my previous surgery the surgeon had taken a piece of bone from my collarbone and had fastened it to my shoulder socket using a screw.  This was to effectively make the socket "larger" so taht the joint would stop poping out.  The surgeon this time had planned to remove the screw and replace the bone piece to better reinforce the shoulder.  However, after he had removed the screw he found that despite the loose screw the old bone piece was still quite solidly grafted to my shoulder socket.  Rather than re-doing the bone "transplant" he decided that the bone from the previous surgery was still supporting the shoulder socket enough.  He found that the ligaments were still attached properly (which had been a concern of his).  He did "tighten up" the shoulder a bit.  In other words he sutured the ligaments tighter to help the shoulder not pop out of joint.

That's all he really did, so even though there wasn't much done on the inside of the shoulder my old scar has been reopened and I have two new ones where other laproscopic tools were inserted.  Seth asked him if the crater caused by the bone would cause any problems.  The surgeon said that it may still heal itself, but that even if it doesn't if should be just fine.  He said that if this fix doesn't do the trick long term, and I need another surgery then they've re-evaluate the crater at that point in time and decide if there's anything that can do for it.  

That .. is .. all.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

I don't know if doctors should use the phrase "That ought to do the trick." Makes it sound like they are using duck tape and super glue...

I hope that the healing goes well. Holler if you need something! Laundry really is my favorite chore, so if you need anything washed or folded.... :)

rasty said...

Um....I like how you text me to ask about my week and say NOTHING about having had surgery!

Please let me know how I can help you this week!

rasty said...

Sorry I'm in on a different login...this is Rachael Lau :)