So I am sitting here at 11 pm. I was going to go to bed. But I cant sleep. So what better use of my time than to Blog. Danni is sleeping next to me. And it got me thinking of how in the world did my parents not go crazy and sleep without the help of a baby monitor?
I remember my parents had something of a baby monitor but it wouldn't pick up on breathing or you know choking or other wise dangerous things. If you made a loud enough noise. Like sneezing, coughing, crying and or yelling. It would flash a light that was in their room. You could sit there and be in another room and not notice it.
Then I am thinking well I know that I was in tune with the spirit and with the feeling around me. I guess that is how they really do it. I know my parents are extremely sensitive to light, vibrations, and smell. OH the smelling thing... I will have to remember to write about that.
Anyways.... I just cannot imagine not being able to sleep without hearing my child. LOL I used to have the baby monitor right next to me the first few months after I put them into their own beds. I would put the baby monitor as close as I could without being taped onto their foreheads. I would go to sleep listening to their breathing. And if I couldn't hear them I would go into the bedroom and place my hand on their chest or lick my fingers and place it under their noses just to make sure they were.
Another thing. They use the sight thing for everything that is for sound. Like the doorbell and the phone. If someone was to reach them the lights would flash. For some of my friends it was annoying. But the ones that came over often just learned to live with it like us. That is also the same with CC or closed captioning. I still like to have either the sub titles on or the CC on when we are watching TV. LOL I pick up on so much more if I didnt have them on it. It bugged Seth so bad at first. Now he is like me. We put them on all the time.
Long ago.... they had TTY's where you would place your phone on the "computer" thing and type. It made an awful sound. Almost like a Fax machine but you could tell it was sending signals for each letter. Now they have VP = Video phone. OH I LOVE it. I wish I had a VP of my own so I dint have to go through a relay. *Relay is where one person is on the machine while the other person who has the same machine is translating for the person who doesnt have the machine.*
I like the Video phone much better. You can tell emotions so much better when they have a VP.
Its almost like using SKYPE with the camera's. You can see the other person live..... Mmmm maybe we will have to buy some SKYPE min so I can talk with my mom without going through a relay.
That is another thing. I HATED being the relay person. It was always me. Blech. Anyways.. now that you know that I really dont like being the person to relay messages. Ok now it is time for bed. I hope I can make it more enjoyable.
1 comment:
Awesome. You know you can video chat through gmail if you have a camera, right? I video chat with my mom at least once a week. The kids love to see her.
I remember using the relay phone service at work when we had to call deaf patients. At first I felt so weird hearing someone type out exactly what I spoke. I kept trying to reword it to make it easier and it just bugged the relay person even more. :) I got better after awhile.
Post a Comment