So I thought I would start this post with what I have been up to. Since my life is just so exciting. NOTHING! LOL. I went and did alot of things but nothing like really exciting. I did go to the park three times this past week. *squeal* totally excited about spring coming. I dont think I am to excited for Summer because the Cottonwood trees have it out for me.
Kids all love school and love that it is lighter outside for longer. They crash at the end of the day because they are so worn out from doing things around the yard and playing like monkey's.
Danni just had a photo shoot with her dance class. Oh my goodness some of the girls are just natural at photos. Danni would be if there wasnt a crowd. She tends to shy away from things like that.
I however like I said NOTHING.
Ok now on to the CODA 5
Yes I know you all were waiting again for me to post more. So here I am to feed your addiction to my life as a child of deaf adults.
I had so may ideas run through my head when I didnt have anything to write or text with. GAH So I am going to try to write things down as I think about them. But to answer one of the questions in my last two post I think was this.
I teach my baby sign does that bother you?
NO! LOL not in any way shape or form. Just dont try to sign a full on conversation with a deaf person just using the signs you learned on signing time. I think they are great. My kids LOVED to watch those. Did it help them learn to sign no. But they understand my mom most of the time. Its so cute to see my mom beam ear to ear with pride that she can talk to her grandkids.
Another thing that bothers me to no end with hearing knowing how to sign is this. They .............talk...............so ..............slow. OK they are not dumb. LOL And they can read so if you feel like it is going to be hard just write to them on a piece of paper. LOL they wont take offense to that. Like one time we pull up to a full service gas station and they noticed me and my dad signing. My dad rolls down the window and I start to talk. The man put his hand up and told me "I got this kid." Then he proceeded to do something that makes me laugh to this day. "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. " *totally drawn out* "Whhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttt kkkkkkkkiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd oooooooooooffffffffff gggggggggggaaaaaaaaaassssssssss woooooooooooouuuuuuuuulllllllddddd yyyyyyyyooooooooouuuuuuuuuu Llllllliiiiiiiikkkkkkkke?" My dad being a joker said "REGULAR! and dont talk so SLOW. I can read your lips." LOL seriously was so funny. Then the man proceeded to fill the tank and we left. My dad then joked later with me while at the dinner table saying "kkkkkkkkkkarrrrrrrrrrlaaaaaaaaaaaaa, caaaaaaaaannnnnnnn uuuuuuuuuuuu passssssss meeeee the sssssssssaaaaaaaaallllltt?" I rolled my eyes and gave him the salt.
I guess it was rude. But still at the same time alot of people thin that if they are deaf they are dumb. Which makes it hard for them to do much.
I am on a board for CODA's its so funny to see that I am not alone. We laugh and we have so many things in common. One person asked what is one of the dumbest?? You have ever had a hearing person say when you told them that your parents are deaf? LOL oh my goodness some of them make you want to go to that hearing person and give them a hug. My personal favorite are these.
"Really!!! Can they drive?" my response was at the time of 12 "Can you?"
"Your parents are DEATH!!!!???!!" LOL
"So can they read brail?"
"How can they have kids?"
"So I bet your house was so quiet growing up?" *it was anything but quiet
"Your poor parents I bet they cant raise you like we can"
The list is long and some of them were quiet offensive. But I have learned to just brush it off and go on with life.
I am going to post what will be coming up next so then I dont forget.
*Culture
*Choosing to leave or to stay
*How I became older than I really was.
4 comments:
So I ask out of curiosity. You reminded me that Deaf households need added features--like the lights connecting to the doorbell, monitors, etc. Do deaf individuals get these at their own financial cost? Does the gov't help/provide somethings or is it left to sponsors?--like when they say/post who sponsored the closed captioning.
I was cracking up at the talking slow. I could totally see you dad saying that to you,haha!
I am dying at the things people said to you! Some are hilarious and others are down right awful!
I love this! We all have questions. When we know the answers it makes things less exotic and unknowable.
I think the speaking slowly and loudly also go with people who speak a different language.
The ways we choose to cope is so funny.
I hope you are feeling well.
Post a Comment