Wednesday, March 9, 2011

CODA3

I am posting them as CODA 1,2,3 etc... So then when I go to look for them they will be easy to find. Then posting a real name to them. So this one is going to be about fun things we did as a family.

So those who know me know that I LOVE music. I actually crave it like chocolate. I can't go a day without some kind of music. Be it at dance class for Danni, or in the car to and from picking up the boys from school or while I cook dinner. So with that my dad is a lover of music. BUT not the kind we are used to. My dad is a singer. LOL yes a deaf singer. He has a beat and he can keep it going with a good rhythm too. Just imagine at 10 pm while everyone is settling into bed for sleep a deep voice starts out going "Doooove da da" over and over again. Its a sound from my childhood. He would do this every night. When he started to work Grave it was hard to fall asleep without that. It's fun to think about "If he was hearing I bet he would have a fantastic voice." He would be a bass for sure. My mom doesn't sing but if she did and she could hear herself I would place her in a first soprano position in a choir.
They both can keep a beat. How do you know?? Well My mom would rock each of us when we were children for bed. She would gently pat our bottoms and she would do it to a beat from her head. My Grandma and myself do this with babies. I still rock Danni sometimes. Just thinking about this makes me hungry for a baby... But that is a post for another day.

If you play Charades with a deaf person they will kick your BOOTAY!! LOL every word has a sign. So if you are going to play with a deaf person be aware that you will loose. I remember playing with friends once. The would do actions and I totally would get it right. People thought I was cheating. Nope just can read body language better. There was this one time we were playing as a family. My sister didnt know how to read so I had to take her into another room and tell her the word. I told her to act it out and not to say anything. *just to let you know she was 3 years old at the time* So we go out there and she is smiling ear to ear. Then we say "GO!" She stand up there and at the same time acting it out she yells "KICK!!!" LOL that was the word. Oh it was so funny..... whew okay.

We played alot of board games. I think in general CODA's Love to play games. I am a sucker for any kind of game but for them it is mostly things like mind games, drawing games and games that involve acting. Really its so fun! Oh and they LOVE card games. Solitaire, Mormon bridge, Uno, Phase 10 *ok that game I don't like. LOL because I usually loose*. And lots more.
When Seth and I got married Seth was surprised that when we have a family get together not only do we get to talk but we play games while we are at it. Its so fun! He isn't a fan of playing with my mom. LOL because she most always wins. He beat her once and he was thrilled. It was a great day for him.

Deaf humor is so different then hearing humor. I will laugh at most anything. Even corny jokes I laugh at. Seth thinks I am odd because I do. I am also very dirty minded. :O I know it might shock some of you *well except Stace* anyways....... Because deaf humor is so much more open and to some might think crude. My dad's favorite Christmas joke he told to Seth our first Christmas together was this "Why did Santa keep stopping and going while in flight?" "Because Rodolph's nose kept going on and off" My dad laughed so hard and Seth was like uh.... ok?!? They are also very reptative. If you dont laugh they will retell it till you do. Once Seth got told the same "joke" five times. Till he realized they were not going to back down till he did laugh. So he acted like it was one of the funniest things ever. Then they left him alone.

I hope I am making sense. I just keep having things pop into my head about what I want to share. So I hope you will be waiting with baited breath till my next post.

1 comment:

Angie Page said...

I was so excited to see a CODA3! I don't get playing charades with deaf people though. So, I'm guessing that you have rules about not using the sign for the actual word but signs that describe the word? Like a deaf version of Taboo.

Seriously, Karla. I'm loving these posts. Keep em coming. I'm learning so much about you like your love for music and games. Jon and I still play a game that we learned from you and Seth.