So I have had a couple of people *not just those who have posted* ask me questions about my childhood and how my children interact with their grandparents. Well you are all in for a real treat ;).
OK mmmmm where to start..... Ok I know lets start with my childhood and then go on from there.
In my childhood it was really different from most children. One I started to talk really young. I could communicate with my parents from the time I was about 8 mo old. My first word was Milk. Yep just skip mom and dad because MILK was my most favorite thing to drink in the whole wide world. I would even steal my sisters milk and drink it. Anyways................ I started to interpret for my parents at around 5 or 6. I wasnt the best signer. My sister was but I would get the "Job" to talk to people who were 4 or 5 x's my age. Which was hard. We hardly would eat out because of this. We would NEVER order pizza over the phone and I would have to call a neighbor to ask them if they could make a Dr. apt for our family. (this was before Relay or any kind of service for the deaf)
Sometimes I enjoyed it but for the most part I Hated to interpret. I hated when people would STARE at me while I signed. I thought at the time they were watching me because I looked like a fool. (Little did I know that they were fascinated with it.) My siblings all have never felt this. Only me. My sister could get up in front of MILLIONS if it were possible and sign. Me uh... not so much. I was never talented enough to do this. I always am aware that I am not the best signer. NOR the best actress either. LOL If you watch those who are signing their face and their bodies talk along with their hands. Its really a talent... a talent in which I do not have. I can communicate with them and others. Seth has better "talent" than I do. (my mom has told me this so I know it is true)
As for my kids.................hahha ok so I dont sign at home. My kids did when they were little and they do when they need something from my parents. But I am sad to say that I am a bad CODA and dont really sign with my kids. I dont. When I left my parents home to be on my own at age 18 I was really excited. NO more signing for them. No more time spent doing that. But fate had a better idea of what I wanted. I interpreted for almost two years. Which in turn made my "hate" for it even more. I didnt like that those who were merged into the hearing school system to get it easy. Just because they were deaf. I got fired because I told the teacher that "If this student wants to get into the best deaf college they had to be treated like everyone else. Or they would think that they were really smart and that they could pass off as easy as they did here" Yep got fired for that. Oh well at least I got my message out there.
I do feel bad for those who are deaf. They are treated differently. I even did a 20 page report in Jr.high about it. How jobs just didnt see that they were capable of doing things just as well or better than those who are hearing. I just feel like those who are deaf that want to be treated like a hearing person needs to step up. Anyways rambling again.
My kids do understand my parents very well. Danni is the best at this. She is like her father. She can pick up things so quickly and is able to adapt it. As for my son's... poor kids. They get their lack of interest from me. *bad bad me*
They love my parents and are able to be in their care for long periods of time. I think Logan is the only one who suffers the most when left with them. He has little time span of concentration. *again from me.*
I think I like writing stuff like this. Hmmm maybe I shall write more if it is an interest to my readers. A whole whopping 3 of you. LOL
Well I guess that is all for now. I just hope I made sense. I do loose my train of thought quite often. If you have more Questions please ask away. I like doing this.
3 comments:
I'm a reader of yours. :) Thanks for sharing all this. I find it really interesting.
It's very interesting, Karla. Keep on ramblin'!
More! More! More! I love hearing about this. I am learning so much. Another question--Do you think its weird when people (like me) do sign language with their babies? It's ok. Be honest. We're friends and I can take it. I love that my little guy can tell me when he want milk or a bath. But I want YOUR perspective.
Post a Comment