Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Laughing while reading

LOL so here is a funny thing. On Sunday we sat down for family Scriptures. And while reading them all of the kids were misbehaving. We kept telling them to sit quietly, to not touch and not to make body noises.
Well Danni being THREE got up and started to run around while spitting and saying "pass gas" but not that word the more "crude" one. Annnnnnnnnyways. ..... So we sat there and tried to calm down. We got her to sit for a whole three min. Then she was back at it again.

Seth said "Danni if you dont sit down I am going to spank you." She sat down and we started to finish the scriptures. Seth continued to read. He then said "And the lord Spanked unto the children" LOL Oh my goodness seriously I was laughing so hard. Then he couldnt hold it in and then we were all laughing. I then said "Well now we know what is really on your mind dont we" We finished the scriptures soon after that. *sigh* I just love it when that happens.

Did anyone elses family do this? I remember when I was little and we were going to say the prayer. Then one person for no reason starts to laugh. But even before the prayer starts you cant stop laughing to even get through it. I remember alot of the time of that happening. Because we had our eyes open for most of our prayers because of the whole deaf thing.

All I can say is that when Elder Bednar gave his talk

More Diligent and Concerned at Home

I was in tears and laughing all at the same time. I know what I do is what I need to do. It will teach them to be strong and grow up to teach others.
My favorite lines of the talk were the following.

"We can begin to become more diligent and concerned at home by telling the people we love that we love them. Such expressions do not need to be flowery or lengthy. We simply should sincerely and frequently express love."

"Sometimes Sister Bednar and I wondered if our efforts to do these spiritually essential things were worthwhile. Now and then verses of scripture were read amid outbursts such as “He’s touching me!” “Make him stop looking at me!” “Mom, he’s breathing my air!” Sincere prayers occasionally were interrupted with giggling and poking. And with active, rambunctious boys, family home evening lessons did not always produce high levels of edification. At times Sister Bednar and I were exasperated because the righteous habits we worked so hard to foster did not seem to yield immediately the spiritual results we wanted and expected."

If you are more interested in this talk please go here

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I frequently use the quote "Mom [she's] breathing my air!!!" when the girls are getting whiny about silly things, LOL.

ems said...

Those are fun moments! :) I too loved Elder Bednar's talk. Even when we can't see the results, we can still know that we are making a difference if we are honestly trying. What a blessing. Thanks for the great post and the reminder about the importance of teaching our children.

Koreena said...

That was my favorite talk this time. We're not quite to the giggly moments during prayer yet, just trying to get the kids to hold still long enough to say a quick prayer together. If we have to get in the car together in the morning to go somewhere, we just say it in the car so that they're strapped down. hee hee :)