Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Freezing CODA

I wanted to let you all know. That UTAH is F R E E Z I N G! The end.

OK now back to CODA.

I was sitting here thinking what could I write. Then I got this brillant idea. People and my Husband and his family ask me this a lot. "Why are you such a people person" Well low and behold let me tell you something. When you are in a deaf culture everyone and I mean EVERYONE is treated like family. There is even "sibling" fights. It's really quite funny.

Lets say a Friend that you are not necessarily close to you says something really rude to you. YOU: would more than likely just brush it off, walk away and just go and think they were a real big meanie and dont know what they are saying. Deaf Person: They would tell you off and tell you how it is.
I mean. They have tact and they have the ability to be nice about it. But for the most part they are NOT nice about it.
Later,(later for you is normally time after you have cooled off and approach them) YOU: Say something about that incident and explain how it hurt you. Forget about it and just enjoy your life.
Deaf person: (Note no time to cool off or even think) "You say what!!!!" Then they will say mean things back and forth and then eventually walk away and be mad at that person till they apologize which you know is on both parts which most of them DONT do. Forgetting about it. LOL yeah *me as a non deaf person* will hear about it for the REST of my life till it is resolved.

They are also very sweet. I mean at my wedding. Most of the hearing people would get the hint. Hey we are cleaning up time to go. Seriously we had to KICK them out. LOL our wedding was supposed to end at 8:30. We didnt get to our apartment till 11. Common! LOL I bet my IL's were like. "That was the longest wedding reception ever. Remind me not to invite Karla's family" LOL
Another thing. Seth says that I always have a "Good Bye Tour". "Apparently" I have to go around and say my goodbyes which consist of hugging, making sure they know I am leaving, talk about something I might have missed in my last conversation with them, also have all the little kids give me lovies before I go. It is sad and True. LOL I guess I shouldn't have the apparently in quotations. LOL
And yes Seth usually gives me a 10 min warning along with the kids. LOL seriously I am dying here. Anyone else see this in me?
I also can carry on a conversations with a complete stranger if they like it or not. This I thank my Dear deaf parents, family and friends. Seriously you go to a deaf party. YOU will NOT be left alone. They try hard to involve anyone and everyone. If they see you try even a little they will come and help you.
It's really fun to go to a "rally" with them
When a deaf person dies. No matter the age you better plan on having a MILLION people there. Friends, family, just met them once. I dont like going to funerals. They creep me out. But I have gone to a few in my life and I can promise you, YOU will NEVER see a larger crowd *besides a young person who died tragically* then a funeral of a deaf person or a person who is a CODA. I guess I better arrange something for that ;).
Ugh ok so my neck is killing me. I hope this is fun, entertaining, and uh educational. LOL but dont base all of my thoughts on deaf people. This is MY own personal experience

No comments: