Friday, March 12, 2010

The day my world stood still

So, I have had lots of people ask me. "What kind of trials have made you stronger" There is ONE that stands out to me then the rest of them. Now dont get me wrong. They all have had an effect on me. Like trials that made me stronger in paying tithing, reading your scriptures, serving others, being served, having friends and loosing some of the "bad branches" off of my Olive Tree.

But there is one that changed my life forever. The day my world stood still. The day I almost lost Truman. I know some of you have heard this and if you dont want to continue to reading that is okay with me. I totally understand. This is more for my records and for the friends who I have just befriended.

Tru four days old


On September 30 2004. It started out like any other day. Cleaning, playing, being mommy. Seth came home a little earlier from work and Stacey and I were hanging out. (like always at that time)I made dinner while this was going on. Stace left we ate and Seth then He rocked and fed Truman to sleep. I told him to lay him on his tummy for a nap because that was the best way he would sleep. (kinda ornery other wise)
So I started to make some cookies. I had the batch made and was placing a sheet of them into the oven when I felt *worried but yet peaceful* to check on him.

I went in and swung the door open. He didnt move... I then turned on the light still no response, Then I lifted him up and he was blue, purple and gray. I screamed a scream that Seth said he never wants to hear ever again.

*Now just to let you know I am a certified CPR. I know how to do it. I also want you to know that our phone got disconnected just a few days before this.*

So I looked at him and screamed "He's dead! He's dead... I gotta call 911" I ran out the door and left it wide open. While running to my SIL house across the parking lot I was screaming "My baby!! He's dead" I banged on Stacey's door while screaming. I didnt give in to my hand pounding or my neighbor trying to calm me. She opened the door and I said "Stace Tru is dead I need your phone." I think I pushed her out of the way and ran to her house phone. (for some reason a cell phone wouldnt do) Anyways I called.

Meanwhile Seth was holding little lifeless Tru. While trying to manage two boys trying to get to mommy who was crying. He heard a gurgle and looked down. He had some red returning to his face and was breathing. He ran to me and was saying "KARLA HE'S BREATHING!" I didnt believe him. He had to come over to where I was standing and show me.

I started to cry. I was so thrilled. But still scared that it was just a fluke. That he was going to go. The Provo Ambulance came within 5 min of the call. I heard the wonderful sound of them and was so relieved when they took him and started to work on him. I said goodbye to my SIL and my kids (who were enthralled that the EMT's were outside) Kissed my hubby and said see you there.

Good thing he went back because the cookies were still cooking. The lights and TV were still on and the door was wide open. My SIL was so kind and took the kids till we were ready to bring them home.

We got to the UVRMC (utah Valley Hospital) I didn't have shoes and I was freezing and feeling quite alone even in the hot September weather we were having. I saw them take Tru into the ER room and they had me stand back and watch. They worked on him and three different nurses asked me what had happened. I told them the same story each time. Seth came in and held me as we watched them work on his tiny little body. Then they said he was stable and that we were going to be moving him to Peds later.

So my MIL and my FIL came and talked to us. I think they called everyone and let them know. The part that made me broke down was when my bishop came into the room. I broke down and bawled. I just held the bishop. He held me and then he looked at Tru and said "He's special Karla" I looked up and said "I know."

Then the next night my parents came and the kids with Seth. I sat there and I just lost it. Seth offered me a blessing and I took it. I sat there and the same things were repeated from previous blessings. But then Seth was silent for a while. He couldnt talk he was so choked up from what he was going to say. He said that the boys choose me to be their mother here on this earth. They came to me and asked ME... ME! I was so taken back that we were all just sitting there afterwards and just watched the kids play.

Now every time the Fall General Conference comes on I get that feeling that my savior loves me. Or when I see him sleeping, or when I hear the stories of others. I do not take my kids for granted. I love them. I love doing things for them. Even at times there are days when I think "WHat did I do?" But I love them and That lesson I learned from that Trial is so everlasting. The lesson of "listening to the spirit" I do. Even if it sounds weird.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far.
The brusing on the side of his head was from the lack of oxygen.


So happy he is here with me. I love my little Trubie

9 comments:

Rachel said...

well I'm glad I can be your first warm fuzzy! That truly is an amazing story. Love ya girl! Thanks for sharing.

ems said...

Thanks for making me teary-eyed! Great story! I'm so glad he was okay and that you listened to the Spirit. Thanks for sharing.

Angie Page said...

Oh, Karla. I knew it had a good ending but I've been sobbing through this story. I'm still trying to compose myself. I wish I could reach out and give you a hug. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Karla, you and I have something very much in common. I'm grateful for every day I have with Abbie. On the days that just feel routine I feel bad that I've "lost sight" for a bit and forgotten that I can't assume my children will be with me tomorrow, etc.
Truly I love my children, most of whom are adults now but I love them all the same (and the one's we're adding :))
I also buried one on my children. This post really hits home. Thanks for sharing. You have a veer special gift of meeting people's needs and I don't event think you know.
Love,
Denise

Corilee said...

I can only imagine what you must have gone through. I'm so glad he stayed with us.

He's such a darling little guy and all boy to boot! We love him and his cute personality. Tell him I said so.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Loves!

Tonia said...

Wow, it is no fun to have those kind of moments. I am SO GLAD he is still here! You are a one amazing woman! Are you feeling better yet? You still can come and see baby!

Koreena said...

I had no idea you had gone through that. What a scarey experience!! I'm so glad everything turned out alright and you have your sweet boy with you.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! that is sooooo emotional!

waiithog said...

Holy cow this made me cry! I can't imagine how scared you must have been. I hope that your family took good care of you guys while you were going through this. It is not something to do alone that is for sure! I am so glad he got to stay here with us. You are a good mom to listen to the Spirit! Simply amazing!!