Wednesday, January 6, 2010

And all that \Jazz

Ok so I didnt fall off the face of the earth but sure seems like I am more away from my home then I would like to be. But it was alot of fun to be there with family doing things I LOVE most. Photos and spending time with family.
So instead of giving you the low down which I am not really good at because my writing skills are just a wee bit on the odd side. I think I will just tell you who and why I took this photo. SO yeah just ..... you know enjoy it.

My cousin Carol and her new Hubby Brent. Married in the Salt Lake City Temple on
December 31 2009.
She was just smiling ear to ear all day long. Enjoying her new addition to her eternal life. I cant wait to talk to her tomorrow. YAY for Carol!

We (me and my sisters Ashley and Ashlynn) got to the temple at 730 in the AM I took this photo and I am totally happy with it. I thought it turned out AWESOME! Carols wedding colors were mainly Navy blue and Dark Red. The accent colors were gold and green. Such a stark contrast with the white and frilly colors of winter.

Ashley, Ashlynn and I were getting COLD and a little loopy since we were up since 5 to get to SLC and dressed *which is a good thing* and ready for the wedding.

This happened today. For Ethan one of the requirements for him to get passed off on scouts is to go to a state building. Well I know there is one in Provo but I have NEVER ever been to the State one. So we went. Can I just tell you I want to 1. Take bridals there someday and 2. To take the Tour again. I LOVED it. I learn so much and it was so much fun. Man if you ever have a chance to go DO IT! Its so neat. So much symoblisim and Greek and history in there. LOVED IT! OK so here with the pictures.

Ethan standing east and the Building in the back is the state building.


That dome is HUGE I was getting sick looking up. But it was breath taking. They have seagulls and Murals of the history of Utah painted all over. The light was HUGE and did you know that the chain that holds that baby up is 5000 pounds. Just the CHAIN! Holy canolie batman it was just WOW.

In the 1940's the State needed more office space. So they painted these windows shown below so they could have it more "enclosed". Well when they did the renovation they took each ORIGINAL glass down and scraped off the old paint and put it back up again. If I had that job I would never paint anything ever again ;). But it is so pretty with the natural light that comes in. Simply breath taking.

This is the Gold Room. Where you dont dare breath because that room is valued at what??? $6.8 MILLION dollars. Thats right ladies and gents. They also call it the international room because of all the things that are in that room are from different countries. The table and the lights are from England. The Chairs are from some other place. The red paneling you see on the walls are from Italy. The rug is from France. Just WOW seriously just WOW!!!
The Gov. is just right behind those doors you see in the photo. He sits at a desk known as the "tornado" desk. WHY? because in 1999 there was a tornado that hit SLC. It took out ten trees and they made that desk from the trees that were ripped out. Crazy huh.


This is a picture of the "guardians" of the building. The architect placed these things there to protect them. They are part Lion, Bird and part Serpent. Neato freato huh?

Just a neat statue.

Notice the floor. Two familiar paterns. One is the Beehive honeycomb shape that represents the unity of the state. Then the other one is the Greek design of the symbol of Eternity. I thought that was neat.

This is the Judaical place thingy. Yes I know I dont know the real name. But when you become a lawyer. You quite Litteraly (I know Janelle but just bear with me on this) pass the bar. They have the person who is "normal" to come through the door and they have "passed the bar" inst that NEAT! Yes I know I have said Neat like 100 times but seriously so neat.

Stain glass windows were so pretty.

This is in the middle of that HUGE Light you saw above.

I know you are now sad to be at the end of my ramblings. But more to come soon. Hope you all had a great and fun Holiday season.

5 comments:

Flee said...

Those were great pictures! I've always wanted to ck out the state capitol, just never got around to it.

Corilee said...

Wow! those pictures of the State Capitol were beautiful. I have been there before but I never took a tour. I'll bet that was fun. Sometimes having a child in Scouts is fun for us, too.

We should go up there for a girls's night out - or day out because I think the Capitol closes at 5:00.

We SHOULD start having Girl's Night Out again whether we go there or not.

The Serna Family said...

Great pictures! We had our Junior Prom at the Capital, it was a blast! And, by the way, your writing skills are awesome! I love reading your blog! Don't be so hard on yourself!

KAT said...

What a fun field trip for you!

Unknown said...

I just hate when the word "literally" is misused, so you're okay ;) ;) Cool stuff. I haven't been up there for a lot of years, but an ancestor of mine did some of the mural painting in the rotunda. I'm totally related to it :P