
I love roses. I always have. My grandmother taught me the love for these beautiful things.
Tonight was hard. My DH's Grandmother is dying. Its been a rough night for Seth and I. We got a phone call from his sister to tell us that his last living grandparent was going to die soon and that if we wanted to say goodbye we would have to go see her as soon as we could. I was already feeling crummy and I had just gotten home. I just wanted to have Seth go and see her while I stayed with the kids.
Seth really wanted me to go with him so I got my mom (bless her heart) to watch the kids. She of course was willing to do so. So we got going. She is in a rest home and was going to die since 3 am. I am so glad we were able to go up and spend some quality time with her before she left us. When we first got there everyone was there. Walking in and out of the room and she was getting pretty excited to the point she was having an anxiety attack. (She has been refusing to eat, or take any medications. She is really wanting to go ASAP)
We then said "Do you want to sing some songs?" We did. I surprisingly got enough of my emotions together that I was able to speak and sing at least two of the four songs we sang. Then her son asked "Do you want someone to say a prayer?" She said "Yes I will." I guess she hasnt said a prayer for a while out loud with the family. She said a beautiful prayer. Asking for forgiveness and for him to let her "Quit" To be released from this world. She asked that we all be comforted and that she would also.
Then we all left to give her some time. My MIL stayed in the room for a few min alone. Then she came and got Seth and I. We went in and talked for about an hour and a half. I was blessed to sit next to her and stroke her beautiful worn face and her hands. At one point she was frustrated and lifted her head. She was worried about something. I dont know what it was exactly but then I calmly placed my hand on the brow of her face and just lightly stroked it so she would lay back down.
We talked to her about the kids and about how much we loved them and each other. We told her that we loved her and went out into the lobby. We stayed and visited with some of the family before we left.

When I'm Gone |
| |
| When I come to the end of my journey And I travel my last weary mile Just forget if you can, that I ever frowned And remember only the smile Forget unkind words I have spoken Remember some good I have done Forget that I ever had heartache And remember I've had loads of fun Forget that I've stumbled and blundered And sometimes fell by the way Remember I have fought some hard battles And won, ere the close of the day Then forget to grieve for my going I would not have you sad for a day But in summer just gather some flowers And remember the place where I lay And come in the shade of evening When the sun paints the sky in the west Stand for a few moments beside me And remember only my best |
I know I dont have all the words in the right order. But this is what I remember from the song "Go Ye now In Peace""Go ye now in peace. And know that the love of God will guide you. Know that the love of God will never leave you lost and alone. In this eternal world."
Grandma Spendlove we love you. I know you may never get a chance to hear this and I just want your daughter to know that we love you. We love your sweet heart and your kindred spirit. For the short time I have known you, you have always been so sweet to me and my family.
I am grateful for you in raising your wonderful family. Thank you for being great. We love you and we will see you on the other side soon.
6 comments:
just because it is one of my favorite songs- here's the lyrics to Go Ye Now in Peace.
Go ye now in peace and know that the love of God will guide you. Feel His presence here beside you showing you the way. In your time of trouble when hurt and despair are there to grieve you know that the Lord will never leave you. He will bring you courage. Know that the God who sent His Son to die that you might live will never leave you lost and alone in His beloved world. Go ye now in peace. Go ye now in peace.
I absolutely LOVE this song! but I haven't listened to it for a really long time! Thanks Karla!
And this post is so sweet! I'm really glad you guys saw her. I went earlier this afternoon and it was so much harder than I thought it would be. wow. I realize I have a lot to say about this, so I'll do it somewhere else- not as a comment! sorry 'bout that!
Thank you, Karla for the sweet sentiments and for coming yesterday. I surely appreciated it and I'm sure it meant a great deal to mother.
Mother is stable and resting well. I haven't yet gone there today so I don't know any more than that. She insisted that we all go home last night and get some rest. I'll be going back shortly. I'll call and let you know how she is doing later today.
Love to you both (all)
Mither
beautiful post! I know we understand eternity but it doesn't lessen the sadness and missing them in person. {{{cyberhugs}}}
What a sweet post. You are always such a thoughtful person. Thank you for your kind thoughts. I love the pictures of the flowers as well. They are beautiful.
It is hard to see a loved one go and it is also hard to see them linger when they are ready to go. My heart goes out to you and your family. I'm glad that you're close.
A very lovely post. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Post a Comment