Thursday, November 6, 2008

Tomorrow! Tomorrow! (should I really love ya tomorrow?)

So tomorrow is the big day for me. Its a bittersweet surgery. I will go in sometime tomorrow and be home that same day unless something goes wrong. (crossing fingers there wont be).
People keep asking me why I am having this done so I am going to write you the story of my "long" journey and why I want this so bad.

Once upon a time a beautiful young girl named (oh lets say) Karla was envied for her charm was being chased down by some mean girls from her home land. She was running from the massive ice balls that were hurdling through the air. She was running so fast and wasn't paying attention to the ground she slipped and fell on the black ice that was underneath the fresh fallen snow.
She smashed into the hard cold black road.

She yelled and screamed. The enemies quickly ran into their hideouts and I was left on the ground. The sister of the fair Karla came running to her side. "What can I do to help?" Then without thinking she Yelled at her sister "Go get MOM!!!!!!" so the sister did her duty and ran to get mom.

While the sister was doing that. The fair Karla decided that laying in the middle of the road was not a good idea and decided that it would be best to get up and out of that road. As she did her arm would not go back down to her side. She had to press up with only one hand and get up. She walked to the house with her left arm up in the air and walked to the house.

Her mom was confused. She didn't quite understand what was going on. So the fair Karla (wow I am being quiet nice to myself today aren't I) pushed her arm down as much as she could to explain to mom what had happened. (the mom is deaf) So she took the arm and twisted it and put it back into place and told the fair Karla not to worry about it.

Well over the course of fourteen years she kept this arm safe as much as she could. She also tried to do some exersices that were to help this injury but never healed. She was a swimmer and she would dislocate in the pool, at home, while changing her shirts, while bathing, while hugging her kids and husband. It got to the point of having it pop out in the middle of the night was the final straw. She decied to go see a docotor.

The doctor was suprised to see that she had been such a strong gal that he said "For your stubborness you are going to be cursed with a surgery."
Well there ya go. I hope I made it entertaining for you.

And further down is an explanation of what has happened over the years and then what is going to happen. And yes (mj hold on to your hat) I am going to ask for help. If anyone can bring dinner the next few days would be very helpful. We have Sat. (thanks MJ) covered and Monday (thanks K) and then Wed covered (thanks Jan). Sunday is covered (thanks sweet hubby of mine). Let me know if you can help.
Love you all.


dislocation

The shoulder joint is the most frequently dislocated major joint of the body - often caused by a significant force that separates the shoulder joint's ball (the top rounded portion of the upper arm bone, or humerus) away from the joint's socket (glenoid).

adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder)
Frozen shoulder is a severely restrictive condition frequently caused by injury that, in turn, leads to lack of use due to pain. Intermittent periods of use may cause inflammation and adhesions to grow between the joint surfaces, thus restricting motion. There is also a lack of synovial fluid to lubricate the gap between the arm bone and socket that normally helps the shoulder joint to move. This restricted space between the capsule and ball of the humerus distinguishes adhesive capsulitis from the less complicated condition known as stiff shoulder.

Specific treatment of shoulder problems will be determined by your physician based on:

  • your age, overall health, and medical history
  • extent of the condition
  • your tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
  • expectations for the course of the condition
  • your opinion or preference

Treatment may include:

  • activity modification
  • rest
  • physical therapy
  • medications
  • surgery

Instability

Instability of the shoulder.
Instability occurs when the head of the upper arm bone is forced out of the shoulder socket. This can happen as a result of sudden injury or from overuse of the shoulder ligaments.

The two basic forms of shoulder instability are subluxations and dislocations. A subluxation is a partial or incomplete dislocation. If the shoulder is partially out of the shoulder socket, it eventually may dislocate. Even a minor injury may push the arm bone out of its socket. A dislocation is when the head of the arm bone slips out of the shoulder socket. Some patients have chronic instability. Shoulder dislocations may occur repeatedly.

Patients with repeat dislocation usually require surgery. Open surgical repair may require a short stay in the hospital. Arthroscopic surgical repair is often done on an outpatient basis. Following either procedure, extensive rehabilitation, often including physical therapy, is necessary for healing.


9 comments:

Rana said...

Oh Fairest Karla, Your fair sister did not do a good job rescuing You! Sorry! But even still we were such sweet amazing little girls!
I'm concerned that you are going to have a tough time healing and getting better, or at least that it will be longer than you expect, be careful, and watch out for black ice! I promise if I'm around next time, if there's a next time, I won't forget you the second I walk through the door.

MJ said...

Yep, count on me for Saturday! I'm bringing cheesy potato soup with rolls and something sweet to go with it. Let me know if there are any allergies in the family.

Love ya, girl!

Stacey said...

Let me know what night you need a meal or anything else. Good luck tomorrow! Love ya!

Kimberly said...

:O What mean girls!!! I hope all goes well and that this surgery ends the shoulder problems!

Corilee said...

I would love to bring in a meal. My surgery has been put off until the 18th so any day between now and then I would be able to do it. Let me know when would be best.

We'll pray for you,
Corilee

Koreena said...

Wow! I'm so glad you're finally getting this taken care of. I really hope everything goes well. I'll be thinking of you!

E n D said...

Good luck with your sugery! I wish we lived close so I could help you out, but I'll help by giving you prayers!

Angie Page said...

Best of luck to you, Karla! I wish I was around to help. I'll be thinking of you all day today.

Lo said...

Sounds awful! Best of luck - my thoughts and prayers are with you! I hope it goes well!!!
Laura