So I was thinking tonight about how we as a family don't believe in Santa, Tooth Fairies, The Monsters in the closet. I don't think it's bad to have such fun things and to enjoy the childhood fantasies. I grew up with them. So did Seth. I don't know when it all started but we just....never really did them.
Ethan learned very young. Not sure how but, that Santa wasn't real. He then proceeded to tell Logan and etc..... that there was no such thing.
I have been scolded and also told that I shouldn't trust my youngest to such truths. But I didn't tell them and when they asked I told them the truth. I have a very honest family and when you ask something you get told the truth.
Also it saves me the trouble of "Why did so and so get this awesome toy that is 200 and I didn't? Does Santa think I am a naughty kid? Because I know that this person did this wrongful thing and that he didn't deserve that. So am I a naughty no good person?" Yeah I know kinda weird. But hey I thought that way as a kid. We were poor. I got a somethings that I was not to impressed with and was envious because Santa loved them better than I. LOL Ah the minds of little children right?
Now PLEASE don't get me wrong. I love that kids believe in Santa and in the tooth fairy. I think it's adorable that their eyes light up and that they have this vision of such fun things in their minds. The stories they tell. I also don't think it is dumb that parents do this. I don't think that they are with holding truths or that they are lying to their children. That would be so mean if I did.
I also don't think my kids are better, smarter, and or more amazing than kids who believe.
My kids have a great imagination though. I mean come on what child doesn't? My kids can have a very wild imagination and that to them is all it is. They imagine dragons, fish that talk, that their dolls come alive when they are not in the room. They also love it when we talk with them about fantasy things. I hope I didn't kill their dreams or make it so they don't have a fun childhood.
Please don't take this wrong in anyway. I just thought I would let you in on our families weirdness.
3 comments:
"I don't know when it started, but... we just never really did them."
What I think is funny is that we've never really tried to do them either, but Kyah SOOO loves to believe, she clings to these sorts of things when she hears them from where ever and they transfer, like the opposite in your family, to our other kids.
When Kyah was 5 she even asked me point blank if Santa was real and I told her the truth. But, when Christmas came around again this year she was a believer again! Funny girl.
I don't think you are doing your kids a disservice at all-- and I bet it makes your life a little easier too!
I tell my kids that everyone has their own traditions and celebrations and that there isn't a "wrong" or "right" way to celebrate.
Actually Josh told me the other day that he wishes he didn't know the truth about Santa,tooth fairy,etc. He feels pretty bad about it. :(
I don't think you are weird. Traditions are the choice of the family. I really respect your reasoning behind your decision.
We have done the whole Santa, tooth fairy--thing and have enjoyed it very much.
The world and our lives are certainly big enough to handle divergent choices. Free-choice is a huge gift. I think we need to celebrate differences.
Post a Comment