Monday, March 8, 2010

Our Sunday School Lesson

I wanted to post this because I felt it was needed. So I hope whomever that this is going to affect that it will help them. So here it goes.

Seth and I are in a Marriage and Family class. This is our sixth time being in it. I LOVE it! If you ever get a chance to take it DO! Its so fun and you get to learn that you are not alone in so many things in your life. Marriage is hard. It is time consuming and may I add well worth it too.
We talked about how Marriage now days is more of a Contract then a Covenant.

We also talked about how we need to give 110% of our time to our marriage then the 50 50 thing. We are not in a contract. We are infact in a COVENANT! We made a promise with not only ourselves and our spouse but to God. We have a triangle and the closer we become with our spouse and God the more "one" we become.

I was thinking about it all last night. That if I was to take apart Seth look at all his faults there would be no way that I would have even considered marring him. I am so glad that I know about the plan of salvation the way we could make it work and how we can forgive them of past mistakes and hope that they forgive our past, our mistakes. For I know that we are only human. That we cannot see the whole thing in our future. We dont know how things will play out but I listed to my heart and my soul. Not my mind and body. I knew that he was for me and I took him and promised to make it better. We made a covenant to help and make it together to Heavenly Father.

There are a few quotes that stood out to me in the lesson. It is found in the family home evening resource book on page 240. Who knew you could learn from the FHE book

So they are the following:

This one talks about how Religion even the same one can become a thing of contention and cause the power of contention to over come your marriage.
"Do not contend or debate over points of doctrine. The Master warned that 'the spirit of contention is not of me, but is of the devil." (3 Nephi 11:29.)

We are inconsistent if we resort to Santanic tactics in attempting to achieve righteous ends. Such inconsistency results only in frustration, loss of the Spirit, and ultimate defeat." (Carlos E. Asay, in Conference Report Oct 1981 p. 93)

In resolving Conflicts in marriage, we must concentrate on our own weaknesses. Elder Neal A. Maxwell, in discussing how to fellowship iactive members, noted a principle important to each of us, particularly to spouses:
"If the choice is between reforming other Church members or ourselves, is there really any question about where we should begin? the key is to have our eyes wide open to our own faults and partially closed to the faults of others- NOT the other way around! The imperfections of others never release us from the need to work on our own shortcomings." (conference April 1982 p. 57 or Ensign, May 1982 p. 39)

I feel as if I myself am pretty judgemental of myself. But I do know there have been times where I have looked upon my own spouse and thought.... "He could do better here and there." Where I should be thinking "I should change and be more of an example to him."
I know there are people out there who dont want to marry because of said things. They do not want to have conflict or to have the spirit of the devil in their home. Which in fact is that if you do marry someone and you know they have faults. Then you should help them find it by example. Like me.... I spend time on the computer a little more then I should. I should find more time to spend with my kids. To enjoy the comforts of knowing that what I am doing is for their own good. I am NOT perfect and I dont think I ever will be.

Seth and I have grown each time with this class. I hope that we can get closer to perfect soon.

p.s. If I offended anyone I am saying I am sorry right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved this post!

Anonymous said...

I wan't there this Sunday but the week before was wonderful! Lane and I enjoyed finding out notes all week - He's still looking for one. What a sweet simple thing to do for each other.
Salmons are doing a wonderful job!

Stacey said...

Awesome post, Karla! I am guilty of focusing on Adam's shortcomings more than my own. It's hard though when you are as perfect as me. ;) Seriously though this was a very thought-inspiring post. Thanks for sharing it!